Bring back the holiday at least in the culinary sense – with Greek gyros soup with homemade gyros spices.
Your vacation in Greece is over, but you’re not ready to fully indulge? Typical scents can help you mentally transport yourself to distant lands. Reminisce by activating your olfactory and taste buds with familiar scents. The typical Greek spice gyros is such a smell. Once in your nose, you will immediately recognize it among a thousand scents. Below you will find out how you can easily imitate it at home and conjure up a wonderful gyros soup that will warm your heart in the cold, dreary everyday life of Germany.
You can also cook wonderful recipes from Greece in the oven. Read here which Greek dishes from the oven you should definitely try.
To prepare gyro soup, you need the following ingredients
For the soup:
- 100 grams of onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 100 grams of paprika
- 200 grams of potatoes
- 400 grams of pork
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 liter of vegetable soup
- 4 tablespoons of chopped parsley
For homemade gyros seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon of chili
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
Preparing gyro soup is very simple and relatively quick
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Wash the pepper, remove the core and cut into small cubes. Potatoes should also be washed, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes, and pork into strips.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the pork and fry the strips evenly over high heat for about two minutes. At the same time, you can heat instant or homemade vegetable stock in a pot on the stove.
- Then the onion and garlic come into the pan and also sweat for about two minutes.
- Season the ingredients with homemade gyros seasoning consisting of salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, paprika powder, cumin, marjoram, chili and oregano.
- The diced potatoes and peppers are now also in the pan and pour over the vegetable broth. Let the gyro soup boil once.
Acorn soup is best if you season it with chopped parsley. Homemade oat pancakes also go well with this. Still need a dessert for your Greek menu? How about a real no-bake chocolate punch: Greek mosaic cake.