Chicken soup is an ideal meal during cold and flu season. Homemade not only tastes better, but is also healthier than canned.
The most important things at a glance
Chicken soup or broth is especially useful during the cold season. It’s not just because of the warming sensation. The soup contains many ingredients that can strengthen the immune system. This includes easily digestible protein and zinc. Chicken meat is also rich in vitamin A.
Recipe: Quick chicken noodle soup
This recipe only takes 50 minutes to prepare. Trick: instead of a whole chicken for the soup, use drumsticks. Another time-saving tip: you can easily peel vegetables with a vegetable peeler.
- 100 grams of smoked meat
- 200 grams of onion
- 200 grams of potatoes
- 250 grams of carrots
- 200 g of celery
- 300 grams of leeks
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 600 g of chicken drumsticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 liters of vegetable stock
- 200 g of tagliatelle
- parsley for serving
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the smoked meat, cleaned onion and celery into cubes. Peel the potatoes and carrots and cut them into small pieces. Wash the celery and leeks and also finely chop them.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan, then sauté the diced onion and smoked meat for two to three minutes over medium heat. Then add the chicken drumsticks and sauté them for 3 to 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Now add chopped vegetables and bay leaves and cover with vegetable stock. Bring the soup to a boil and then cover and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Then remove the chicken drumsticks from the pot and let them cool. Place the tagliatelle in the pot and let the soup simmer covered for ten minutes.
- Now remove the skin and meat from the chicken drumsticks – you can see how this works best in the video above.
- Return the pieces of meat to the pot and season the soup with salt and pepper. Then chop the parsley and sprinkle it over the soup before serving.
This chicken noodle soup recipe is from the cooking app Kitchen Stories. Chefs make their videos available exclusively to t-online.de – making cooking and baking child’s play.
Recipe: Chicken soup with a whole chicken for soup
- 1 chicken for soup (about 2 to 2.5 kilograms)
- 1 bunch of greens for soup with parsley
- 1 onion
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 3 medium carrots
- Soup with noodles or rice
- Salt and pepper
- freeze peas, broccoli or asparagus if desired
- Remove any attached feathers from the chicken. This works best with tweezers. After that, clean the chicken.
- Put cold, salted water in a sufficiently large pot and bring to a boil. How much water you need depends on the size of the chicken and your pot. The chicken must be at least completely covered with water in the pot.
- Then put the chicken broth and offal into the boiling water. Close the pot with a lid and turn off the heat. Cover and simmer the chicken over medium heat for 2 to 2.5 hours.
- While the soup is simmering, wash and chop the vegetables for the soup. After cooking, remove the chicken from the soup and let it cool a little. Tip: The meat is ready when it separates from the bone on the thighs.
- Now add the vegetables to the soup and continue to simmer until the vegetables are cooked.
- If desired, you can cook 200 grams of thin soup noodles in the soup. Rice also goes well with chicken soup.
- Meanwhile, peel the chicken and separate the meat from the bones. Cut the skin and meat into bite-sized pieces and return to the soup. Serve the chicken soup with washed, chopped parsley.
If you don’t add all the chicken to the soup, you can use the rest of the meat Hühnerfrikassee Cook.
What meat is suitable for chicken soup?
The basis of chicken soup is fresh chicken for soup. This should preferably come from a farmer or butcher so you know where it came from and how it was fed. This ensures that the meat is of good quality. Chickens from supermarkets are often not as tasty and often have less meat.
Alternatively, you can use chicken drumsticks or chicken pieces to cook the soup.
Cook frozen chicken for soup
If you don’t have fresh chicken on hand, you can also use frozen chicken for the soup. Here, however, the cooking time is extended to an hour. You can see if the chicken is ready as soon as the meat is separated from the bone.
Chicken soup from the pressure cooker
If you have a pressure cooker, you can also use it to prepare chicken soup. Put chicken for soup, chopped greens for soup with water and a little salt in a pot. Close the lid and cook everything until there is steam or pressure on the pot. Now reduce the temperature a little and let everything cook for another 30 minutes. Then remove the pot from the stove. After about 30 minutes, the chicken will be ready.