In general, legumes are considered nutritious and healthy. But does this also apply to lenses? And can lentils be eaten at all during pregnancy? After all, they can definitely be bloated. We’ve gathered everything you need to know about it below.
1. The most important things at a glance
- During pregnancy, lenses are mainly due to valuable nutrients (such as folic acid).
- However, the lenses should it is never eaten rawbut always first peeled, soaked and then cooked.
- Because they look like trying can be applied, also in large quantities bloating or abdominal pain lead.
- Lentils are from a can already pre-cooked and are therefore allowed it is eaten warm and cold want.
- There is also nothing fundamentally wrong with heating the lenses during pregnancy.
2. Can I eat lentils during pregnancy?
Definitely! Lentils are actually very healthy for pregnant women. Because legumes, for example, are rich folic acidwhich is recommended to be taken if you plan to have children and also during pregnancy preserving the child’s health plays an important role. At the same time, lenses give a lot protein (necessary for muscle building), as well as iron (supports blood formation). It also contains numerous minerals such as magnesium and zinc. A high level also ensures good blood circulation potassium content, and vitamin C supports the immune system. So, without hesitation, you can eat all types of lentils – be it red, yellow, brown, green, Beluga or Pardina lentils.
What about canned lentils?
During pregnancy, you can also eat canned lentils – cold and warm. Since legumes are usually already pre-cookedso they no longer have to be specifically heated.
Can I eat sprouted lentils during pregnancy?
No In general, there is nothing wrong with eating sprouts during pregnancy. However, just like bean sprouts, sprouted lentils should not be eaten raw must be boiled. This is the only way you can be sure that there are no pathogens in them that could be dangerous for you and your child.
I like to eat lentil chips when I’m pregnant – is this possible?
Mostly they are potato chips during pregnancy of course it is not forbidden. However, you should not eat them in large quantities, but only in moderation. This also applies to lentil chips. Because the popular snack has it high fat contentA lots of Salt and often too much acrylamide. The latter occurs when food is heated to high temperatures. Experts consider acrylamide problematic and suspected to be carcinogenic.
So, lentils are allowed during pregnancy – but which foods are actually taboo? Our free guide 125 foods to avoid during pregnancy you say.
3. Are raw lentils dangerous during pregnancy?
Whether pregnant or not: Lentils should not be eaten raw. Instead, pulses need to be cooked before consumption. Even a simple soak is usually not enough for the lens. That’s because heating can toxins break down in lenses. This includes, among other things, protein phase, which is also found in beans, so this should also be cooked well. However, fascin is not found in peas, so they can mostly be eaten raw. If the body absorbs fascin, this can often increase severe symptoms of poisoning lead.
Advice: Before cooking, lentils need to be peeled and soaked – except for yellow and red lentils. These are already peeled and would fall apart when cooked.
4. Can I heat the lens if I am pregnant?
It is not yet known why heated lenses should not be allowed during pregnancy. So, during pregnancy, you can reheat your lentil soup from the previous day. The only thing that matters is that you eat the lentil dish fully heated.
5. Do lentils cause abdominal pain and bloating during pregnancy?
In fact, lentils (like other legumes) are one of them difficult to digest Foods that can cause bloating and abdominal pain. This is mostly the case when Lentils are eaten in large quantities want. To prevent bloating or abdominal pain during pregnancy from lentils, you should not eat too many legumes. How your body reacts to lentils is best to try with a small portion.
In addition, when you consume foods rich in fiber, you should adequate fluid supply Make sure that the dietary fiber in the digestive tract has enough water to swell.
6. Lenses are suitable for gestational diabetes
The lenses are even highly recommended for diabetics and expectant mothers with gestational diabetes. Because legumes have it high fiber content. This ensures that dietary fiber enters the blood relatively slowly. Additionally the blood sugar level rises only minimallywhat about that high protein content from the lens.
7. Delicious recipe: Prepare lentils during pregnancy
There are so many delicious lentil recipes that are great for pregnant women. We were inspired by essen-fuer-zwei.de and this great one Swiss chard curry with lentils found:
You need this for two servings:
- 75 years old lenses
- 125 g wild rice
- 200 g sweet potato
- 300 g Mangel
- half Bow
- one a clove of garlic
- two spoons oil
- 100 ml water
- 200 ml coconut milk
- teaspoon Red curry paste
How to prepare lentil curry:
- wash them lenses especially thoroughly and prepare you as well as wild rice according to the instructions on the package.
- so Bow and garlic peel and then cut into cubes.
- heat it up oil (ideally if you use rapeseed oil) in a pan and fry the onion and garlic for about two minutes until they become transparent.
- The next step is to peel them sweet potato and cut them into small cubes and put them in a pan on low heat for five minutes.
- Now he will Mangel washed.
- Then remove the stems from the leaves and cut them into 1.5 centimeter pieces.
- Now add Swiss chard to the pan and fry for about three to four minutes.
- Then add water and let it boil for a while.
- the coconut milk together with red curry paste add and simmer for five minutes.
- Let everything simmer for another five to ten minutes with the lid closed.
- At the end, stir in the lentils, season as desired and serve with wild rice. Enjoy your meal!
The content of this text has been verified Nutritionist Lydia Wilkens. Graduated ecotrophologist has 14 years of experience in the field of nutrition communication and counseling. As a mother of two, one of her main areas of focus is The EssenZ Nutrition Team, Dr. Heike Niemeier in Hamburg and school of nutrition in nutritional counseling and therapy for families and children.
Also, she leads Food projects for children, parents and multipliers in kindergartens and schools through. As an expert in all aspects of mother and child nutrition, she supports the editors of Echte Mamas with practical expertise.
Crunchy fruits and vegetables are a valuable source of nutrients for you and your baby – so take a look here:
You can get many more tips on “nutrition during pregnancy” HERE »
If you want to exchange ideas with other moms on this topic, just come to our closed Facebook group: “We are real moms – questions and answers”!